Sunday, July 01, 2007

Grand store re-opening!!

Well - sort of! I've renamed my ebay store and generally sort of played around with it to make it more user-friendly etc. The new name? Les Barbes de Chat. There's also a new offer in the store - spend over £10 on cards and stationery and pay no p&p! It's got to be worth a look...
Some more stuff I've made recently:

How time flies!

I really can't believe that the last time I updated my blog was February! What happened to the last 4 months? Anyway, one of the things that happened in the last 4 months is that we finally redecorated our bedroom - we moved to this house nearly 5 years ago and, apart from taking up a very nasty rag (I think at one time it may have been a carpet!) we've done nothing to our bedroom. It had got to the stage where it was being used as a dumping ground for everything we couldn't find a proper home for - I guess lots of you know that feeling, eh? I kindly allowed my husband to do all the donkey work - I chose the colours etc and he did the work - but I did make some wallart.

The letters were made using a technique described by a very talented artist on UKS, Maddy Hill - they're made from foamcore, hand cut then covered, coloured and embellished. Because they're so light, they are simply stuck on the wall with sticky dots. I'm really pleased with the way they turned out. The last picture is not really very good, but in real life it's pretty good - I painted an acrylic painting board in a scrumptious pink metallic acrylic paint. Once that was dry, I used a Heidi Swapp mask - the bird and branch, then masked off 3 equal horizontal stripes. The bottom stripe was painted in the palest colour emulsion we used for the walls, the top one is the dark colour we used, and the centre stripe is a custom mix of the two. It took a while, because of the masking and waiting for bits to dry, but I think it was well worth the wait. I then painted a piece of thin cardboard in a metallic rust colour, and placed the picture on top of it, then added a glass clip frame. To alleviate the huge expanse of plain glass, I used some foam stamps with stazon inks and stamped a frame onto the glass, around the edge of the picture. We are really happy with the final result - not only do we have some personalized art, but it cost a fraction of the price we would have had to pay had we purchased something ready-made.